The Gardens of De Wiersse
Away from the world, surrounded by its farmland and woods, lies the moated manor house of De Wiersse. With 38 acres of garden and 74 acres of landscape park, the house and its surroundings have been lived in, designed and managed by the family since 1678. In this historic garden a sequence of surprises awaits the visitor – avenues and pergolas, fountains and statues, meadows and formal parterres, bridges over a gently flowing stream and a serpentine tunnel of beech. The moss and ferns beside the paths of the romantic wild garden give way first to a productive kitchen garden and then to the mixed borders, dry stone wall and pergola of the sunken garden. Countless bulbs and spring flowers are found throughout the garden, naturalised in woodland and meadows: Fritillaries, Crocusses, Species Tulips and many more.
Oxford Companion to the Garden: “One of the best kept estates in the country”
‘Algemeen Dagblad’: (translation): “The most beautiful garden in the Netherlands”